Sunday, September 29, 2013

Just One Moment

This past weekend was pretty great. I always look forward to the weekends when I can finally forget about classes and any work for a few days. Although I've started to think about how much I enjoy drinking just because there is so little to think about. You forget everything that's been going on and you just start to live in the moment. That's one of my favorite ideas, living in the moment. I don't think enough people try to do it, but it makes you feel so free when you do. Society is too wrapped up in documenting every moment that happens. And I'm sure that I'm guilty of it too, but I try not to. Pictures can never capture the moment as great as the moment actually is. I think that its much more important to just stop looking through a lens and start to feel the moment. And I know that sounds dumb but its amazing and you will know what I mean when you do it. These moments I like to concentrate as much as I can on one sense at a time. Put all my attention to one of the senses and figure out everything I can that's happening. So If I'm sitting on the beach I will close my eyes, ignore everything but what I can hear. You would be amazed the sounds that you only hear when you listen closely. Then ignore all the sounds and pay attention to what you can see. And don't look around. Stare straight ahead and notice every detail. Every slimmer of light. Every sharp edge. Every transition of color. Everything that you possibly can. And after you've listened to everything and seen everything, ignore all of that and just pay attention to what you feel. What does the wind feel like hitting your arm. Does it wrap around you like a sleeve? or does it feel like its avoiding your arm like repelling magnets? Just notice everything. Every detail of the moment. I am actually not entirely sure why I do this. Maybe its because it makes me concentrate so intently that I can't worry about anything else. It takes me out of life and puts me in that moment so much that it is impossible to even imagine that there is more than that moment. It makes you feel like the world is just a second long, and you want to figure out everything you possibly can before its all taken away from you. And it will be taken away, moments never last forever. Its the briefness of the moment that makes it that much more valuable. Feeling like everything will be ripped away from you in a second is such a relaxing thought. At first glance it may seem frightening and terrible, but its the most free you could ever possibly be. I think that's why I'm not afraid of death. There will never be a moment in your life that is more comforting than knowing that there is nothing left to do but just let yourself have a peaceful mind. Realizing that anything in the past is now completely irrelevant and doesn't matter in the slightest. Knowing there is no future to worry about. Knowing that this is it. This moment is all you have which makes everything so simple. You can let it all go and think about nothing. and that is perfect.



Kings of Leon-Revelry



No comments:

Post a Comment